Bipolar disorder is a complex mental health condition that has been explored in various movies and television series. These portrayals often offer insight into the challenges faced by individuals living with bipolar disorder and the impact it has on their lives. Here are 15 movies and TV series that feature characters with bipolar disorder:
- “Silver Linings Playbook” (2012): Directed by David O. Russell, this film follows the story of a man with bipolar disorder (played by Bradley Cooper) as he forms a unique bond with a woman (played by Jennifer Lawrence) dealing with her own mental health challenges.
- “Infinitely Polar Bear” (2014): Starring Mark Ruffalo, this movie explores the life of a father with bipolar disorder who strives to take care of his two young daughters while his wife pursues her education.
- “Touched with Fire” (2015): This film tells the story of two poets with bipolar disorder who meet in a psychiatric hospital and form a passionate but tumultuous relationship.
- “The Skeleton Twins” (2014): Featuring Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader, this dramedy portrays the complex relationship between estranged twins, both of whom struggle with mental health issues, including bipolar disorder.
- “Manic” (2001): Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, this drama is set in a psychiatric hospital and follows the lives of teenagers dealing with various mental health issues, including bipolar disorder.
- “Call Me Crazy: A Five Film” (2013): This anthology film includes a segment titled “Grace,” which depicts a woman’s experience with bipolar disorder and her journey toward recovery.
- “Michael Clayton” (2007): While not the central theme, this legal thriller features a character with bipolar disorder (played by Tom Wilkinson) whose mental health struggles play a role in the film’s plot.
- “Homeland” (2011-2020): The character Carrie Mathison, portrayed by Claire Danes, has bipolar disorder in this long-running series, which explores her career in the intelligence community alongside her mental health challenges.
- “Euphoria” (2019-present): While not the primary focus, one of the characters in this teen drama series, Jules, is revealed to have bipolar disorder, and her experiences with the condition are explored.
- “This Is Us” (2016-present): One of the show’s main characters, Randall Pearson, grapples with anxiety and panic attacks, which are sometimes indicative of bipolar disorder, though the show primarily focuses on his mental health challenges as a separate issue.
- “Shameless” (US) (2011-2021): Ian Gallagher, one of the Gallagher siblings, is diagnosed with bipolar disorder in this series. His journey with the condition is explored throughout the show.
- “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” (2015-2019): The character Rebecca Bunch, portrayed by Rachel Bloom, is diagnosed with borderline personality disorder but also exhibits symptoms and challenges associated with bipolar disorder.
- “United States of Tara” (2009-2011): This series centers around a woman, Tara, who has dissociative identity disorder (formerly known as multiple personality disorder). While not bipolar disorder, it does depict a character with a complex mental health condition.
- “Empire” (2015-2020): The character Andre Lyon, played by Trai Byers, is depicted as having bipolar disorder in this music industry drama.
- “Modern Love” (2019-present): In one episode of this anthology series, titled “Take Me as I Am, Whoever I Am,” Anne Hathaway portrays a woman with bipolar disorder and offers a glimpse into her daily life and challenges.